Choosing a band to see on your Birthday is a challenging task, especially when an eventful city leaves you spoilt for choice. I was introduced to the John Butler trio by a friend a few months ago, and after seeing a couple of impressive songs online, I decided they would be worth the gamble.
They burst into their first few songs after a stylishly nonchalant introduction, setting the pace of the evening with some tricky riffs and one of their singles. It was a wonderful moment because I relaxed, utterly reassured I had made the right decision (a feeling I could feel I shared with those around me). As a musician myself I was looking out for comparable qualities, such as his vocal range, which at first seemed misleadingly limited. Of course I soon realised he had mastered his voice much like he had mastered his many instruments, and used it as such to wonderful effect later on in the show.
Though this was unquestionably a good performance, it was only later on, when his comrades gave up the stage for his solo performance, that this concert exceeded everybody’s expectations. “Ocean” is widely considered to be one of his best songs, but the magic began before he even shaped his first chord. Completely contrasting to his laid back opening, this introduction was a passionate speech about a protest he experienced in his hometown. It was slightly hindered by the audience’s ignorant cheering, as they clearly had no idea of the incident he was referring to. Nevertheless, it was inspiring to see such a spirited audience captivated by this one incredible man. He then went on to perform what I believe (after extensively searching all online resources) to be the most mind blowing rendition of this song ever. The audience was utterly mesmerised for the entire duration, united in sheer disbelief; everybody sharing the confusion of how he managed to condense the four guitars that could clearly be heard into this one vessel of musical genius. It was a rare and special moment to feel everyone around me thinking exactly the same thing: “This is the best thing I have ever heard in my whole entire life.”
From there the evening went from strength to strength. Each song seemed like a mosaic of genres, infused with a tapestry of world influences from Indian to Aborigine to good old fashioned redneck country. Even the rest of the band held their own during their incredible six minute drum and bass solo (reminding everybody what “drum and bass” actually sounds like). John Butler’s endearing ramblings between songs held the show together with humility and genuine passion, leaving every member of the crowd spellbound on their departure. It was undoubtedly a wonderful concert, and after watching him perform his impossible songs, I feel enlightened as to the true purpose of people’s fingernails.
No comments:
Post a Comment